Information Gathering Focus Groups
AGC members have been invited to participate in Phase 1 of the Green Dot program, which is being implemented in the construction trades in Oregon in order to address experiences of bullying, violence, or harassment faced by many workers in the trades. These issues create significant safety and productivity concerns on worksites and the training will empower workers to intervene (safely) in situations of all kinds.
The goal of the full project is to change construction culture through bystander intervention, that is, by training people to intervene safely when they know about bullying, violence, or harassment. The goal of Phase 1 is to better understand the experiences of bullying, violence, and harassment in order to tailor the program for the construction trades.
Phase 1 is being conducted by Green Dot, in consultation with Oregon Tradeswomen and Portland State University researchers. This project is funded by the Community Benefits Agreement and the Bureau of Labor and Industry and Oregon Department of Transportation (BOLI/ODOT). Those who participate will be asked to complete a short survey and then participate in a focus group; in total this will take approximately two hours. Participation is voluntary and attendees will be free to skip any questions they to don’t want to answer and can leave at any time.
Participants for each of the different focus groups are needed, so a consistent understanding of how each group experiences the job site environment can be obtained. They are:
Thursday February 26
- 9:30–11:30 am: Large contractors, HR staff, project managers
- 12:30–2:30 pm: Open shop JATCs and small contractors
- 3:00–5:00 pm: Community based organizations
- 6:00–7:30 pm: Two different groups of workers: women of color and white women
Friday February 27
- 9:30–11:30 am: Union and apprenticeship staff
- 12:30–2:30 pm: Foremen/superintendents
- 3:00–5:00 pm: Mixed group (overflow from other groups)
- 6:00–7:30 pm: Two different groups of workers: men of color and white men
Portland Metropolitan Workforce Training Center
4500 NE 42nd, Building 1
Contact Deborah Hyde, 971-722-5630, or Tiffany Thompson, 503-335-8200 x 31. Click here for a flyer.