IP65: Career Tech Education in All Oregon High Schools
In early July, the IP 65 Campaign passed a historic mark—more than 125,000 signatures were submitted to the Oregon Secretary of State’s office, way more than the 88,184 needed to qualify. That means the initiative is very likely to qualify for the ballot in November! Signatures were collected in fewer than three months, which means on average one signature every minute. That rate of collection underscores all the enthusiasm for winning better high schools in Oregon. Thank you to all the volunteers and supporters who worked so hard to make this moment possible!
Two press conferences were held about the turn in, followed by The Box Walk, where signatures were turned in to the Secretary of State’s office. The events featured a former governor, a robot, a very cute dog, and lots of great supporters waving signs!
The first two ads have been launched, which are appearing online on Hulu, NBC, ABC, and other networks. The first ad, “Oregon’s Shortage of Trained Workers,” features Oregon electrician Bridget Quinn, who explains that Oregon has a shortage of people with the basic skills needed in order to become a trained electrician. One third of electricians in the state are expected to retire in the next three years.
In the second ad, “College Level Classes Set Students Up for Success,” first generation Oregon college graduates Mila Buckland and Pablo Saldana talk about the importance of early college prep for high school students. Mila and Pablo connect the early college credit programs offered by their high school to their respective pursuits of higher education and success at Portland State University.
The campaign received the endorsement of the Oregon Agriculture Teacher’s Association, which works with agriculture teachers in high schools across Oregon.
- “Former Oregon governor, teachers, students push for Initiative Petition 65” from KGW
- “Skilled jobs, ‘building things is respectable'” from KOIN6
- “Activists deliver signatures for Initiative Petition 65” from the Statesman Journal
- “Support initiative to boost hands-on learning” from the Oregonian
- “Education advocates turn in signatures for Oregon funding measure” from the Portland Business Journal
- “Backers Submit Signatures For Initiative Aimed At Boosting Graduation Rates In Oregon” from KLCC | 89.7
- “Activists deliver signatures for Initiative Petition 65” from Herald and News
- “Backers of initiative to boost Oregon’s high school graduation rate turn in 125,000 signatures” from the Oregonian
- “Backers Submit Signatures For Initiative Aimed At Boosting Graduation Rates In Oregon” from Northwest News Network
- 3 Things To Know About Oregon’s High School Funding Initiative from OPB
- “Backers of high school funding initiative turn in signatures” from the Portland Tribune
- “IP 65 appears to earn spot on the ballot” from My Columbia Basin
- “Initiative Petition 65 Campaign Aims to Raise Oregon’s Graduation Rate” from KDVR
- “As I See It: Measure will help students succeed” from Corvallis Gazette Times