Women in Construction Week
March 4–10, 2018
Women in Construction (WIC) Week is the National Association of Women in Construction (NAWIC)’s annual week of celebrating women in construction. The focus of Women in Construction Week is to highlight women as a visible component of the construction industry. WIC Week also provides an occasion for NAWIC’s thousands of members across the country to raise awareness of the opportunities available for women in the construction industry and to emphasize the growing role of women in the industry. It is also a time for chapters to give back to their communities.
NAWIC Portland Chapter #52’s schedule of activities includes three construction career panels at local high schools, six jobsite tours, a donation drive benefiting Dress for Success, a lunch ‘n learn on sexual harassment, a seminar put on by SDC: “How to Win the Fight: Change Orders & Claims” as well as, a social hour on Friday to network and celebrate. WIC Week will culminate on Thursday, March 15 during their chapter meeting, where they will screen Sistah in the Brotherhood with filmmaker Dawn Jones Redstone and Dr. Roberta Hunte, as well as celebrate their chapter award winners.
Most of these events are free and open to the public (the Friday seminar is free to NAWIC members and $50 for non-members, the chapter meeting is $35 for NAWIC members and $40 for non-members) so please pass this information along and bring a friend to celebrate WIC Week!
To register for an event, you need to email email@example.com – some of the events have limited space, so please register early, first come, first served.
Dress for Success Donation Drive During the Month of March
Dress for Success (https://oregon.dressforsuccess.org/) is a 501c(3) non-profit organization that seeks to empower women to achieve economic independence by providing a network of support, professional attire, and the development tools to help women thrive in work and in life. This is the sixth year they have held this clothing drive!
NAWIC will be collecting gently used, nearly-new attire, footwear, accessories at noted WIC Week Events, as well as the March chapter meeting on March 15. Any items that are not work appropriate will be sold, with proceeds funding job development programs. If you are interested in making monetary contributions, click here.
WIC Week Events
Contact Kelly Aust for more information, Kelly.firstname.lastname@example.org, 503-519-4398. Click here for more information.
*This event is also a Dress for Success Donation Drive pickup
- Construction Career Panel, March 5, 12:35–1:15 pm, St. Mary’s High School, Portland
- Jobsite Tour: Walsh Construction – Grand Avenue Apartments*, March 5, 4–5 pm
- Happy Hour at Altabira Tavern, March 5, 5–7 pm, Altabira Tavern, Portland
- Jobsite Tour: Lease Crutcher Lewis – SAIF Headquarters*, March 6, 10 am–12 pm, Salem, Ore.
- Construction Career Panel, March 6, 11:51 am–1:15 pm, Fir Ridge High School, Portland
- Sexual Harassment Lunch ‘N Learn, March 6, 12–1 pm, Location TBD
- Jobsite Tour: Hoffman Construction – OHSU CHH South Building*, March 6, 3–4 pm, OHSU, Portland
- Construction Career Panel, March 8, 9:30–10:10 am, Lincoln High School, Portland
- Jobsite Tour: Coulter/Skanska – Meadowlark Warehouse*, March 8, 11:30 am–12:30 pm, Portland, Ore.
- Jobsite Tour: CBRE/Heery – Grant High School*, March 8, 3:30–4:30 pm,Grant High School, Portland
- Seminar: How to Win the Fight: Change Orders & Claims, Presented by the SDC Institute, March 9, 8 am–4 pm, Skanska Main Office, Portland
- Happy Hour at Backyard Social*, March 9, 4:30–6:30 pm, Backyard Social, Portland
- NAWIC Board Meeting, March 15, 4:30–5:30 pm, Widmer Brothers Brewery & Pub, Portland
- NAWIC Membership Meeting / WIC Week Finale, March 15, 5:30-8 pm, Widmer Brothers Brewery & Pub, Portland. In celebration of Women In Construction Week, the March Chapter Meeting will feature a film screening of the short film, Sistah in the Brotherhood by the film’s director Dawn Jones Redstone.
Join NAWIC in celebrating and encouraging women in construction! Click here for more information.