Oregon Small Business Initiative
The Oregon Department of Transportation, the Oregon Association of Minority Entrepreneurs, and the Oregon-Columbia Chapter of the Associated General Contractors have joined forces to create the Oregon Small Business Initiative. Today’s infrastructure projects are more difficult and technical than ever before, and the initiative was created to improve the capability and capacity all contractors working on ODOT projects, including primes; subcontractors; and minority, women, and emerging small businesses (MWESB). The initiative will accomplish this through several means: training for MWESB contractors on general business subjects, such as estimating and bidding, certified payroll, and cash flow management, with additional ODOT-specific information that could include training with specific prime contractors; training for prime contractors that could include diversity, mentoring, and small business issues; and facilitating networking between MWESB and prime contractors.
ODOT Office of Civil Rights has developed a series of Frequently Asked Questions on the Disadvantaged Business Enterprise program, which is now posted on the Office of Civil Rights DBE Program Faq web page.
The DBE FAQs provide information on the following:
- Program Background
- Certification Eligibility
- DBE Goals (Overall and Contract – general information)
- DBE Goals on A&E Contracts
- DBE Goals on Construction Contracts
- Contract Administration: Monitoring DBE Participation
- DBE Networking, Outreach & Resources
ODOT Small Business Prime Opportunities
The Oregon Department of Transportation lets projects in a variety of scopes and sizes. The agency encourages eligible small business contractors to become prequalified and submit prime contractor bids on appropriate-sized and scoped projects.
To view ODOT project opportunities, click on the link to the six month project letting forecast list below.
- Search the six month project forecast schedule by bid date, estimated project size, region, county, and keyword here.
- Prequalify as a prime bidder for ODOT here.
- View advertised project bidding plans and specifications on eBIDS and register as a bidding plan holder for a project here.
Overcoming Obstacles: Best Practices for Subcontractors, General Contractors, and Public Agencies
The SB-GO! Council tackled some general issues with doing business in the construction industry. From nearly two years of meetings comes a whitepaper, with suggestions and tricks to be more profitable and successful. Read more…
ODOT Highway/Bridge Construction Contracting Useful Websites
- ODOT Home Page
- Small Business Resources
- Disadvantaged Business Enterprise (DBE)
- Emerging Small Business (ESB)
- Small Contracting Program
- Procurement Office – Construction
- Average Bid Prices
- Oregon Procurement Information Network (ORPIN)
ORPIN help desk: 503-378-4642
- ODOT Office of Civil Rights
More calendar items are available here. We have an extensive calendar, and many events not specifically targeted to small or MWESB businesses that would be beneficial. To add events, meetings, or opportunities to the calendar, contact Karla Holland, 503-685-8319.
To add events, meetings, or opportunities to the calendar, contact Karla Holland, 503-685-8319.