Safety Resource Center
AGC provides a vast array of safety resources that provide members the competitive advantage. Whether you need basic safety advice, access to information, sample programs and policies, a sounding board for ideas, or connections to peers and professionals, look to AGC to get the job done.
Hot Topics and Issues
Proposed Changes in Cranes and Derricks in Construction
Public Hearing Scheduled for:
October 1, 2014, 1:30 pm, Labor & Industries Building, Basement – Conference Room E, 350 Winter Street NE, Salem, OR 97301
The Oregon Occupational Safety and Health Division, known as Oregon OSHA is proposing to amend 1926.1427(k), extending the phase-in expiration date for crane operator certification and the employer duty to ensure competent and safe crane operations to November 10, 2017.
In February 2011, Oregon OSHA adopted by reference federal OSHA’s Cranes and Derricks in Construction standard. Oregon’s phase-in period for crane operator certification and employer duties located in 1926.1427, paragraph (k) of Division 3, Subdivision CC has an expiration date of November 10, 2014.
On February 10, 2014, federal OSHA published in the Federal Register a proposal to extend the phase-in expiration date by three years to November 10, 2017 to allow time to address national stakeholder concerns about equating certification with qualification as well as the requirement for operators to be certified by both type and capacity of crane. Oregon OSHA agrees that the phase-in deadline in 1926.1427 Operator qualification and certification, paragraph (k), should be delayed.
Comment period closes October 10, 2014. Read More
Harris Products Group has issued a recall for some welding torches/handles that pose a significant fire hazard to the users. There have been verified incidents of the problem throughout industry, fortunately without injuries to any of the users or their co-workers. Harris Products Group has directed that consumers (to include contractors) must immediately:
- stop using any/all Lincoln Electric/Harris Products Group welding torches that are identified as affected by this specific recall, and
- contact Harris Products Group to receive a free replacement.
For a complete list of recalled products, view the recall notice.
Oregon OSHA Construction Depot publication is available online.
Local Safety MANAGEMENT Services Available
- Safety Councils
- Best Safety Practices (new 2014 edition)
- AGC SafetyPLUS – online safety management system – free basic subscription
- Tool Box Talks (accessible via AGC SafetyPLUS)
- Jobsite Poster Packets – to order, contact Brenda Saterfiel at the AGC office, 503-682-3363 or 800-826-6610.
- AGC of America Safety and Health Services
External Links: Regulatory Agencies,Local Involvement, and Activities
Associations, Foundations, Trade Groups
- AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety
- American Industrial Hygiene Association (AIHA)
- American Society of Safety Engineers (ASSE), Willamette-Columbia Chapter
- Center for Research on Occupational and Environmental Toxicology (CROET) web
- National Safety Council (NSC)
- Construction Industry Crime Prevention Program
- Galson Labs – Laboratory Analytical Testing
- Generation X, Workforce of the Future
- National Resource Safety Center
- Network of Employers for Traffic Safety
- Pacific NW Section – American Industrial Hygiene Association (AIHA)
- Safety Online
- SAIF Corporation
- OR-OSHA Program Directive A-264 (Focused Inspections in Construction)
Focused Inspections in Construction – Refers to Safety PRIDE Program
- eLaws (U.S. Department of Labor)
- Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
- Federal OSHA
- Federal OSHA Noise and Hearing Conservation
- Mine Safety and Health Administration (MSHA)
- National Highway Transportation Safety Administration (NHTSA)
- National Institute for Occupational Safety & Health (NIOSH)
- OR Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ)
- OR Department of Consumer & Business Services (DCBS)
- OR Department of Transportation (ODOT)
- OR Occupational Safety & Health Administration (OR-OSHA)
- OR-OSHA’s Fall Protection Guide for the Construction Industry
- OR-OSHA’s PESO Publication (English/Spanish)
- OSHA Training Institute, Region X
- OR-OSHA’s What’s New
- U.S. Department of Labor (DOL)
- Washington State Department of Labor & Industries (L&I) Ergonomic Standards
- Washington State Department of Labor & Industries (L&I) Services
- Washington Utility Safe Digging Guide